SGPT is an enzyme found primarily in the liver. Lesser amounts are
found in the heart, skeletal muscle and kidney.
Elevations found in:
- Any traumatic injury to any of these structures.
- Any disease affecting one of these structures.
- Cirrhosis (Mild increase)
- Liver metastasis (Mild increase)
- Obstructed bile duct (Moderate increase)
- Myocardial Infarction (Variable increase)
- Hepatitis (Moderate increase)
- Pancreatitis (Moderate increase)
- Infectious mononucleosis
*These are general values taken from a variety of
sources. The actual normal values may vary from lab to lab and from one
type of testing protocol to another.
Operational Medicine 2001, Health
Care in Military Settings, NAVMED P-5139, May 1, 2001, Bureau
of Medicine and Surgery, Department of the Navy, 2300 E Street NW, Washington,
Obstetrics & Gynecology
© 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
Medical Education Division,
Brookside Associates, Ltd.
All rights reserved